Payday Loans in Lawrence, Kansas
An OppLoans Guide to Getting The Help You Need
Lawrence is a great place to raise a family, but not everyone in town has an easy time. There are people in Lawrence whose incomes are low, savings are meager and whose credit histories shut them out from traditional financial institutions. For people like this, falling on hard times can feel all the harder. They have to turn to predatory lenders to get a loan, and don’t have many options when it comes to medical care, help with substance abuse or finding affordable housing. However, there are also many places in Lawrence where these people can find the help they need, whether it’s a better personal loan, a clinic that accepts uninsured clients or a counselor that will help them get their house out of foreclosure.
Borrowing Money in Lawrence
When people who lack access to financial resources need to pay for emergency expenses, they are likely to end up in the grasp of a predatory lenders. These are lenders that advertise with phrases like “No Credit Check” and “Fast Cash Now”! While their slogans might be catchy and their advertisements flashy, it’s all because they don’t want people looking to closely at what they’re actually offering.
These loans come with high interest rates and short repayment terms that are likely to trap borrowers in endless cycles of debt. Before taking out a loan in Lawrence, take some time to read more about the different kinds of loans available. Some will help, while others will do nothing but hurt.
Payday Loans in Lawrence
These dangerous loans could leave you trapped in a cycle of debt.
Payday loans, like many other predatory kinds of lending, can be very deceiving. It seems like you’re getting a fast loan at a good rate, one that you can pay back quickly and not worry about for longer than a month at most. However, those rates can be deceiving, and the quick-turnaround on these loans could actually leave you worrying about paying it back for a long time afterwards.
A payday loan is easy to get because they most often don’t require any kind of background check. All the borrower needs to do is make out a check to the lender and post-date it until their next payday. (That’s how the loans got their name.) In Kansas, the lenders have a maximum loan amount of $500 and can offer terms anywhere from 7-31 days. They are allowed to charge up to 15% of the loan principal (AKA the amount originally loaned) in fees and interest. This all adds up to an annual percentage rate of a staggering 390%!(1)
Because their rates are so high and their terms are so short, it can be hard for borrowers to pay off the payday loan on time; they simply don’t have a lot of time to come up with the amount of money that they owe. Failing to pay off a payday loan could even land you in court, where they would likely garnish your future wages until the loan had been paid off in full. There are better ways to get a loan in Lawrence.
For more information on payday loans, or to report a payday lender in Lawrence, please contact the Office of the State Bank Commissioner of Kansas at (785) 296-2266 or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at (855) 411-2372.
Personal Installment Loans in Lawrence
Low, fixed monthly payments that fit within your budget.
It might seem like it’s hard to find a safe reliable loan in Lawrence if you’re someone with a poor credit history, but it’s easier than you think. Instead of getting a payday, pawnshop or title loan, just get a personal installment loan from OppLoans. Our loans have principals between $1,000 and $10,000, terms between 6 and 36 months and interest rates that are generally 70-125% lower than other personal lenders. Plus, our rates are fixed which means that your easy monthly payments will never change.
OppLoans always strives to deliver fast, flexible, fair and five-star service:
- Fast: Apply online and find out if you’re approved in minutes. Once approved you can get your cash as early as the next business day.
- Flexible: We offer longer terms, larger loans, and affordable, fixed payments. Your monthly payment will be the same throughout the life of the loan.
- Five-Star: Customers rate us 4.9 out of 5 stars for our friendly service. We also provide discounts for credit education.
To start building a better credit history with a personal installment loan from OppLoans, all you have to do is fill out this easy online application. If you’re approved, you can have your funds as early as the next business day.
Guides to Payday Loans in Kansas Cities
- “Kansas.” Payday Loan Consumer Information. Consumer Federation of America. Accessed March 9, 2016. https://www.paydayloaninfo.org/state-information/24
- Car-Title Loan Regulation.” Consumer Federation of America. Accessed March 8, 2016. https://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Resources.CTL.StateLawTermChart12.2.12.pdf
- “Car Title Lending.” Center for Responsible Lending. ResponsibleLending.org. Accessed March 9, 2016. https://www.responsiblelending.org/state-of-lending/reports/7-Car-Title-Loans.pdf
- “2012 Statute: Article 7 — Re-Regulation of Pawnbrokers and Precious Metal Dealers.” Kansas Legislature. Accessed March 9, 2016. https://kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/016_000_0000_chapter/016_007_0000_article/016_007_0019_section/016_007_0019_k/
*OppLoans is not affiliated with any of the programs, services or organizations referenced on this page.