Payday Loans in San Jose: Subprime Report
An OppLoans Guide to Getting The Help You Need
Life in the heart of Silicon Valley is great for some, but for others it’s not so easy. Right now, San Jose is the fifth most expensive city in the entire country.(1) For people with low incomes, poor credit histories and not a lot of savings, life in San Jose can mean living paycheck to paycheck. One unexpected emergency or unforeseen expense could set them back so far that they won’t be able to recover.
Fortunately, for people in San Jose who are struggling to make ends meet there are many options available. From safe, reliable personal loans to government programs to non-profit organizations, there are tons of places in Sane Jose where people who are struggling can find the help they need.
Borrowing Money in San Jose
Silicon Valley is filled with online companies and app developers that are all trying to get people the things they need as quickly as is humanly possible. And when low-income residents in San Jose need some fast cash to cover unforeseen expenses, there are a lot of lenders that can give them that cash in a jiffy. Unfortunately, many of those lenders aren’t looking out for their customers’ best interest. They are quick to give them a loan but are just as quick to seize their property or send them to a collections agency when they can’t pay the loan’s sky-high interest rates. These are called predatory lenders(2) and they should be avoided at all costs, because the cost of that loan could end being way more than what was originally borrowed. Before taking out a loan in San Jose, it’s a good idea to learn The Truth about Payday, Pawnshop, and Car Title Loans.(3)
Payday Loans in San Jose
These loans might be easy to score, but borrowers usually strike out.
Payday loans are a kind of short-term, high-interest loan that are popular because they are very easy to secure. Usually, all the borrower needs to do to get one is to sign a post-dated check to the lender for the amount owed. However, those terms and interest rates mean that these loans, while convenient, are almost never worth the cost.
In California, payday loans are capped at $300 and the interest rates cannot be more than 15%.(4) But the term for a payday loan is rarely longer than 30 days and the average length is 14 days. This means that a 15% interest rate on 14-day loan adds up to an APR of 390%. That is way more than other kinds of personal loans. And borrowers who have trouble paying the loan back in the allotted term will often find themselves faced with an aggressive debt collector.
For people who need a quick loan in San Jose, there are better options than a payday loan. If you would like more information on payday loans, or want to file a complaint against a payday lender in San Jose, contact the California Department of Business Oversight at (916) 327-7585 or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at (855) 411-2372.
Personal Installment Loans in San Jose, California
Get a loan that works for you.
For people who need to cover unexpected expenses, visiting a payday, title or pawn shop lender could land them in a worse financial situation than where they began. OppLoans offers a better option. Our safe, reliable personal installment loans have interest rates that are 70-125% lower than other lenders and come with longer repayment terms between 6 and 36 months. And because our low, fixed monthly payments never change, they are perfect for anyone working and living on a tight budget.
OppLoans always strives to deliver fast, flexible, fair and five-star service:
Fast: Apply online and find out if you’re approved in minutes. Once approved you can get your cash as early as the next business day.
Flexible: We offer longer terms, larger loans, and affordable, fixed payments. Your monthly payment will be the same throughout the life of the loan.
Five-Star: Customers rate us 4.9 out of 5 stars for our friendly service. We also provide discounts for credit education.
Personal installment loans from OppLoans range from $1,000-$10,000. You can borrow more, pay less and build your credit all at the same time. To apply for a loan, all you have to do is fill out a simple, online application. If you’re approved, the money can be in your bank account as early as the next business day.
See more local California guides below:
Anaheim | Bakersfield | Chico | Fresno | Los Angeles | Modesto | Oakland | Redding | Riverside | Sacramento | San Diego | San Francisco | San Jose | Santa Barbara | Stockton
- Raghavan, Divya. “Most Expensive Cities in the U.S.” NerdWallet. Accessed February 15, 2016. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/most-expensive-cities/
- Nasso, Bridget. “Military Veterans Targeted in Lending Scam in San Diego.” NBC San Diego. Accessed January 28, 2016. https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/MIlitary-Veterans-Targeted-in-Lending-Scams-San-Diego-291314631.html
- Lee, Jenna. “The Truth About Payday, Pawnshop and Car Title Loans.” Us News & World Report. Accessed January 26, 2016. https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2014/05/22/the-truth-about-payday-pawnshop-and-car-title-loans
- “What You Need to Know About Payday Loans.” State of California, Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency, Department of Business Oversight. Accessed January 26, 2016. https://www.dbo.ca.gov/forms/CDDTL/CDDTL-001-Payday_Loan_Trifold_PDF-FINAL-(Rev.08-13).pdf
- Buck, Claudia. “State urges California consumers to be wary of auto-title loans.” Sacramento Bee. Accessed January 26, 2016. https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4457825.html
- “Tips for buying and selling at a pawnshop.” Blogging for Change. Money Management International. Accessed January 26, 2015. https://www.moneymanagement.org/Community/Blogs/Blogging-for-Change/2011/July/Tips-for-buying-and-selling-at-a-pawn-shop.aspx
- Scinto, Madeleine. “An Inside Look At America’s Growing Dependence On Pawnshops.” Business Insider. Accessed January 26, 2015. https://www.businessinsider.com/get-an-insider-peak-into-how-pawn-shops-work-2011-12
*OppLoans is not affiliated with any of the programs, services or organizations referenced on this page.